WordPress conference

Helen, Kristi, Jan, Amy, Deborah, and James wake up together in a classroom where we study CSS. CSS is the syntactical language of presenting and building the specification for websites on the Internet. We communicate here in the early morning...
norwaybrowns

WordPress conference

Post by norwaybrowns » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:03 pm

For those interested in learning WordPress but missed the class, there is a 2-day event coming to the DFW area called WordCamp 2018. Nov. 10-11. Here's a link directly to the schedule: https://2018.dfw.wordcamp.org/schedule/.

james

Re: WordPress conference

Post by james » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Cool.

Wordpress is easy to start. I hope to go over it a little in class as to how the CSS can be controlled. Yet, WordPress is also a bit clunky, disorganized, and it does have a complex structure in the backend; so don't let it fool you; it is a craft and hence, can take a while to feel good with; I am NO expert and I am still learning.

YouTube is probably the BEST source on how to use WordPress ... there are TONS of resources.

1) Get a domain.

2) Get your content together ... THIS is so important ... just pictures and text ...

3) Create as you learn.... screw up.... fix it .... learn ... screw up ... fix it ... learn. If you can take a class in it ... then it will set you going as far as building a site... The class is easy and Tom is a good teacher.

:idea:

norwaybrowns

Post by norwaybrowns » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:09 pm

Yes, I'm working my way through YouTube tutorials on how to use it, but there are so many quirks. . . One example: when I tried to use Gutenberg, the new version (is API the right term?), I just got a blank page. The same happened when I tried to add a second page to my main (index). I also can't seem to change the heading from the first post to something other than "Hello, world!" Will keep messing with it every day. . .

james

Post by james » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Funny. I just talked to a guy tonight about how frustrated he was with WordPress. He mentioned how convoluted and unclear everything is ... Even with Elementor as his visual builder he is frustrated.

Yes, there is a little learning curve with WordPress ...

Until wordpress version 5.0 (I believe) Gutenberg is a plug-in; until then you gotta "add new" plug-in and activate it ... I suppose you have already done this. I am not sure why you are getting a blank page.

Besides, you might not want to use this editor ( Gutenberg ) and try out the visual builder Elementor (they have a nice Free version that is very powerful ).

As to an API. No... it's a plugin. An API (Application Programming Interface) is a (kind of language) that connects clients and servers.

You might want to check out this youTube Channel... He might speak to you:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjDuxP ... _qAdjRG4YQ

One thing for sure: It's best to have a good idea of what you are trying to design... Building your site and Designing it are two different things... try getting all your content ready (TEXT and Pictures and a general idea of what your site will do ) BEFORE you start to sit down with WordPress. That way, you will have an idea of what you want to put on the page.

Good effort... it will get a lot easier as you progress.

;)